2015 ULTIMATE ELVIS TRIBUTE ARTIST CONTEST
OFFICIAL RULES AND GUIDELINES
All participants in the 2015 Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist Contest preliminaries, Semifinal and Final must abide by the following rules below. Violations of any rules below are grounds for disqualification. In the rules, the Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist Contest preliminaries, Semifinal and Final will be referred to as “The Ultimate,” Elvis Tribute Artist contestants will be referred to as “ETAs” or “contestants” and Elvis Presley Enterprises will be referred to as “EPE.”
1. EPE is not responsible for any expenses of contestants at any time during The Ultimate, including any expenses with respect to travel to Memphis, Tennessee.
2. Employees or relatives of employees of EPE are unable to compete in The Ultimate.
3. Any contestant found violating the rights of EPE through misuse or infringement of EPE’s proprietary rights, including trademarks, rights of publicity, or copyrights will be disqualified from Ultimate.
4. Participation in The Ultimate does not grant any rights to use the name, image or likeness of Elvis Presley other than as embodied in the contestant’s performance or the trademarks Ultimate Elvis Tribute ArtistTM or Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist ContestTM.
5. Profanity and/or vulgarity on stage or while participating in official contest events will not be tolerated and any contestant violating this rule will be immediately disqualified from the contest.
6. Any ETA found to be using a controlled substance will be immediately disqualified.
7. Any contestants acting inappropriately on stage during any round of the contest or while participating in official contest events will be disqualified from The Ultimate. This includes portraying Elvis in a derogatory manner, using inappropriate language, or acting vulgar.
8. All ETAs must be at least eighteen (18) years of age or older as of August 5, 2015.
9. All contestants grant EPE and Sherry Mangement, LLC the right to use their name, image, likeness, biography, and any photographs or audiovisual footage of their participation in The Ultimate, including their performance, presence at meet ‘n’ greet and/or interview, without the payment of any compensation, in connection with the advertising and promotion of the Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist Contest, or any Sherry Management, LLC event, including without limitation, any preliminary rounds of the contest as well as the Semifinal and Final Rounds of the contest in Memphis, Tennessee, in August 2015.
10. All contestants grant EPE and Sherry Management, LLC the irrevocable right to record their participation in The Ultimate, including their performance, presence at, and/or interview and to use, adapt, reproduce, distribute, broadcast, and exhibit their performance in perpetuity in any and all media, manners and platforms, without the payment of compensation.
1. If a winner of a preliminary round is unable to travel to Memphis for the Semifinal Round of the competition or has already won a different preliminary round, then the second place winner of the preliminary contest is allowed to travel to Memphis in their place.
2. It is up to each preliminary round to determine if they will allow ETAs who have already won another preliminary round to compete in their contest. If they do allow an ETA who has already won another preliminary to compete in their preliminary and that ETA wins, then the second place winner of that preliminary contest would be designated as the winner for the Semifinal Round in Memphis. An ETA who wins more than one preliminary round can only compete in Memphis under the first preliminary contest they won. Sherry Management, LLC has elected to allow ETAs who have already won to participate in our events.
3. The only props allowed on the stage during the contest are scarves and/or a musical instrument. All other props are prohibited.
Due to time constraints and in order to ensure a fair and impartial performance, contestants are not allowed to distribute scarves or other items to, nor allowed to accept items from audience members. Please check the rules of the individual contest, or check with the Stage Manager or Talent Director. Sherry Management, LLC events do allow distribution of scarves to the audience, although the there are limitations.
4. ETAs cannot leave the stage area when performing. If you have any questions as to what constitute leaving the stage, please check with the Stage Manager or Talent Director.
5. Judging for the contest will be done on a scale of 1 (low) to 10 (high) on the following categories: Vocals, Appearance, Stage Presence, and Overall Performance. Vocals will count as 40% of score. Appearance, Stage Presence and Overall Performance will each count as 20% of score. The ETA receiving the highest overall total score will be the winner of the preliminary. Sherry Management, LLC uses a slightly different scoresheet. At our events where multiple divisions are offered, only ETAs in the Professional Division(s) are eligible to win the preliminary.
6. In the case of tie scores, the ETA receiving the highest score in the Vocal judging category will be the winner. If the Vocal category is also a tie, the winner will be chosen based on the highest score in the following categories in this order: 1. Overall Performance; 2. Appearance; 3. Stage Presence.
7. Contestants, representatives of contestants, and relatives of contestants cannot interact with judges prior to or during the preliminary, Semifinal or Final rounds of The Ultimate.
8. EPE reserves the right to remove any preliminary winner from The Ultimate at its reasonable discretion. Sherry Management, LLC reserves the right to disqualify any contestant in their preliminary at its reasonable discretion.
9. Licensed preliminary rounds may make changes to ‘PRELIMINAIRES’ section of The Ultimate’s Official Rules and Guidelines, as long as those changes are submitted in writing and approved by EPE prior to publishing, distribution, or implementation by the preliminary round.
MEMPHIS SEMIFINAL/FINAL ROUNDS
1. ETA must perform with the Elvis tribute band that EPE selects for The Ultimate Semifinal and Final Round. ETA cannot provide own band, background music, or backup singers. Once EPE informs the ETA of the backing band, the ETA must promptly inform EPE if it has a working business relationship with the backing band.
2. If ETA is late or misses scheduled rehearsal and/or mandatory meetings, then they forfeit the opportunity to rehearse and/or may be disqualified from The Ultimate.
3. Winners of the ETA Contest preliminary rounds must submit their song list and performance agreement to EPE. Each ETA must submit a list of song choices, in the order of preference, for the Semifinal and Final Round. A random drawing will be done for song selection and performance order.
4. All songs performed must be songs Elvis sang. No custom or original songs are allowed. No medleys are allowed during Semifinal and Final Rounds.
5. If a finalist is unable to compete in the Final Round, the ETA receiving the next highest score during the Semifinal Round may take their place in the Final Round.
6. Only ETAs participating in the contest and one family member and/or manager will be allowed backstage. A special badge will be given to ETAs participating in the
Semifinal/Final to allow access backstage during event. Badges cannot be worn by anyone other than contestant.
7. The only props allowed on the stage during the contest are scarves and/or a musical instrument. All other props are prohibited. Due to time constraints and in order
to ensure a fair and impartial performance, contestants are not allowed to distribute scarves or other items to, nor allowed to accept items from, audience members.
8. ETAs cannot leave the stage area when performing.
9. Sales of contestant merchandise (e.g., t‐shirts, cds) or solicitation of any kind will not be permitted before, during or after the competition at venues specifically
reserved for The Ultimate.
10. The ETA shall make themselves available for reasonable media interviews and publicity appearances.
11. Judging for the Semifinal/Final will be done on a scale of 1 (low) to 10 (high) on the following categories: Vocals, Appearance, Stage Presence, and Overall Performance. Vocals will count as 40% of score. Appearance, Stage Presence and Overall Performance will each count as 20% of score.
12. The top ten ETAs receiving the highest combined scores during the Semifinal Round will proceed to the Final Round. All scores during Semifinal Round are cumulative.
13. During the Final Round, the ETA receiving the overall highest score will be the overall winner of The Ultimate. All scores during the Final Round are cumulative.
14. In the case of tie scores in the Semifinal or Final Rounds, the ETA receiving the highest score in the Overall Performance judging category will be the winner. If the Overall Performance category is also a tie, the winner will be chosen based on the highest score in the following categories in this order: 1. Vocals; 2. Appearance; 3. Stage Presence.
15. In the case of a tie score in all categories in the Final Round, the contestants who are tied will each choose one additional song to sing in front of the panel of judges.
The ETA receiving the overall highest score after the judging is done on the final song will be the overall winner of The Ultimate.
16. Contestants, representatives of contestants, and relatives of contestants cannot interact with judges prior to or during the Semifinal or Final Rounds of The Ultimate.